Thursday, June 12, 2008

ED again!




We had an eventful day yesterday. Caitlin and I were getting lunch and she was jumping around everywhere like she always does and she tripped over and... crunch, her little chin hit the floor. It was such a small fall, that when I picked her up, screaming her head off, I was really shocked - she had blood actually dripping from her and I thought that she must have put her teeth through her tongue or lip which she has done before. Actually, she had, in that really small fall, managed to put a one inch gash in the crease under her chin (where the double chin starts) and about 1/2 a centimetre deep. Blood just poured from it! She was, naturally, absolutely distraught.

We took her down to the emergency department and saw a Doctor there (can't get in to the clinic here on short notice). They debated whether to put stitches in, but they were fairly confident that skin glue would do the trick. Caitlin was such a brave little girl. She didn't cry or even complain, even when the Doctor was squeezing her cut and making her put her head right back. The Nurse managed to steri-strip her chin twice (because she didn't get it right the first time) and still no objections from Caitlin. When the Nurse said "now this might sting a little bit" that was the end of Caitlin's good humour!

When we were still at home Caitlin had been asking "they won't hurt me will they Mum?" and I had tried to play it down by saying that I didn't know and that they would be as careful as possible, not knowing if she would need stitches and that they could hurt. Caitlin screamed and kicked and would not, for anyone, stay on the trolley. She was down and on her way out of there. In the end we had to wrap her in a sheet to restrain her and while I held her down and another nurse held her head still, her chin was glued and a piece of fixomul put over the wound.

Craig said later that he didn't envy me having to do that. When I was trying to reason with her to stay on the bed, I was so close to crying. It was a really hard thing to do! Of course not long after we had finished, she calmed down and was fine. The nurse mentioned an icypole as a special treat, so she perked up quickly! I think the episode will have damaged our chances of being able to treat her easily in that sort of setting again though.

She has to keep the fixomul on for five days and is not allowed to get it wet, so I think we will give swimming a miss on Monday, just to be on the safe side. I really hope it heals well because there was a patch that bled for quite a while and it looked as though the glue had not stuck in that one spot. We will see next week.

Callum, of course took it all in his stride. He is such a calm and placid boy.

I will post some photos at a later date because my camera memory card isn't being picked up by the computer. I think I need to shut down the computer and give it a rest!

I am just working on my second layout for my challenge. Actually, it is a frame that I have been making for at least 4 months, so I thought that qualified as old stash! It is coming up nicely and I can't wait to paint the scrap room now so that it looks nice on my wall (get rid of the hideous yellow)! A couple of friends are absolutely motoring with the challenge. D has done 7 layouts and L had done 3 last time I spoke to her and I am sure she will have done more by now!

Time for bed and to check my little ones are sleeping soundly!

No comments: