Monday, May 26, 2008

Healthy?

Caitlin and I saw the naturopath about 4 weeks ago and have been on a pretty serious diet change. Last winter we were so sick with colds and gastro that I just couldn't handle it again for another winter, especially with two kids to look after now.

Erin has cut wheat out of our diets and reduced the amounts of dairy and sugar we consume. I have also given up coffee and tea and almost completely given up chocolate too!!! (not quite). It took me about 4 days to detox, and boy did I feel bad! I guess Caitlin was feeling that way too, but I couldn't see past my own headache at the time. We have given it a really good go - on the weekend Craig accidentally made us pancakes with wheat in them and Caitlin and I both had a really bad reaction to it. Caitlin was still distressed at bed time. We will know for the future that pancakes are not the best food for us. Caitlin, I think, has had the most amazing change from our diet changing - she is so even tempered, sleeping really well, very well mannered, energetic and just a joy to be around. None of the mini tantrums that we used to get either. The most remarkable change has been in her bowel. For the first time in her little life, she doesn't have diarrhoea, which I think would pretty much indicate that she has a wheat intollerance!

We will see how good this new diet is... I have a cold lurking around but not really coming to anything at the moment, so we will see if I can fight it off. We see Erin again on Thursday, so it will be good to get a progress report from her.

1 comment:

J C said...

Hi
Good to read and see how you all are. Good luck with the diet change. The garden looks good I could see the mullberry tree in one of the pics very healthy like the oranges. J C